Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Board member profile: Sarah Howard

Sarah HowardSarah Howard, UMCF Programs Committee Chair
Communications Manager
School of Journalism & Mass Communication  
showard@umn.edu   
612-625-8095  

Find me online: Personal website | LinkedIn
   
Became a member of UMCF: June 2011      

About my role on the UMCF board:
The Programs Committee plans the monthly programming for UMCF members. Because the programs bring together members of the Forum, it's fun to get to know members through this group. Plus, if we have a topic we want to learn more about, we can plan a program around it! Have an idea of a program you'd like to see? Contact me!   

Some great Forum memories:
I really enjoy the annual conference. Taking the day to learn and network with colleagues is a great way to stay refreshed at work. I also really enjoyed last year's program on work-life balance. Not every program or activity has to be directly related to your job. Taking time for personal development is important as well.

About my role at the University
I am currently Communications Manager for the School of Journalism & Mass Communication. I started at the University of Minnesota in June 2011.

Favorite place on campus:
Northrop Mall, especially in the spring!

What I like about working at the U:
I'm a 2006 alumna of the University of Minnesota, so being able to come to work everyday at a place where I have such warm memories is just great. I also really enjoy the emphasis on professional and personal development here. I've learned so much in some really great sessions through different organizations here on campus (UMCF as well as Office of Equity & Diversity and Organizational Effectiveness).  

A person at the U whom I admire:
Diana Harvey (UMN's chief communications officer) is a great inspiration to me. Not only is she personable and available to colleagues, but she has a really strong track record of effective communications leadership -- both at the University of Minnesota and at a variety of organizations around the Twin Cities community.  

Some of the coolest projects I've worked on at the U:
Every year, my department has a spring celebration for students and donors. When I came to the U, the event was in need of a make-over and myself and a colleague were charged with making that happen. Starting from scratch, adding new elements, renovating the program and seeing the event come together as a great success was really fulfilling.

Accomplishments I'm most proud of:
I recently finished my master's degree in strategic communication from the University of Minnesota. I never thought I'd go to graduate school, much less enjoy it!

More about Sarah

My hometown:
Excelsior, Minnesota | view it on a map    

Paper book or e-book:
Paper

Favorite website:
BuzzFeed
 
Favorite source of inspiration:  
Fast Company magazine

Favorite word:
Vacation

Word that makes you cringe:   
Like. When it's, like, overused!

Favorite brand:
Target

What I do for fun:
I love to play tennis, take my dog, Jack to the dog park, be on or near water or take road trips whenever possible.

Sarah-Howard-Dog-Jack.jpg


1 comment: