Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Member profile: Adam Overland

adam-overland.jpgEditor/Writer, University Relations Marketing Communications and Creative Services

Started working at the University in April 2008

UMCF member since 2008

When asked if we can find Adam online, he had this to say:
There are far better things to find online than me. Start with this YouTube video.

Adam was nominated by Andria Waclawski who appreciates his sense of humor and the energy he brings to the table.

What brought you to your current job?
 
For starters, a tremendous boredom with my last job. I'd begun post-college life by working for an airline in Minneapolis as a ramp-agent, aka those guys with the orange wands who direct aircraft and load your luggage. To be clear--I loved that job. The people, the airplanes, the cheese-curd eating contests (I ate 93 in 60 minutes*)...but two years in, a communications position opened up and I began writing and editing the company's newsletter. That was great for about a year, but the challenge wasn't there.
 
What excites you about working at the University and for Creative Services?

University Relations is packed with people who a) care about their work/the U of M at a level I've never seen in previous work; b) are talented in ways that consistently amaze me; and c) love to go to happy hours.
 
What advice do you have for communicators at the University of Minnesota?
 
Take classes. There's no better way to get to know the U than from inside the core.

Your hometown and the first place you lived after leaving your hometown?
Sioux Falls, SD (aka "The Big City")
Moved to Brookings, SD and shortly thereafter, to Anchorage, AK
 
What do you do for fun?   
Landscape/stone work, exercise, and anything outdoors.
 
What is your dream job (besides the one you have!)?
I'm torn. If I had a better body I think I would like to build rock patios, gardens, walls, etc. But alas, my back and knees weren't made for a lifetime of it. So I'm left with ink to make my mark, and I feel pretty good about that.
 
Motto or personal mantra:
"The rich get Richard, and the poor get Phil."

I'm happiest when:
I'm reading a good book in the sunshine.
 
Favorite book/author?  
Favorite authors via acronym-soup: KV, HST, and DFW
 
Favorite food and drink?
Steak and red wine.
 
Favorite musician or band?
Once upon a time it was Ween. I credit them with giving me a keen sense for the absurd. Today I don't play favorites.
 
Favorite place on Earth?
Looking down on it from an airplane.
 
People may be surprised to know:
That I can almost certainly bench press more than you, and that this is incredibly important information.
 
If I could do it all over again, I would:
Have been born with special powers. Specifically, I would have had a genetic mutation that made my bone density equivalent to steal, my muscle strength that of a bear, and with a built-in retractable cape.
 
Pet peeves:
Pay your bills on time.
 
Before I die, I would like to:
Go to outer space. I'm serious. I'm saving hard for it.




No comments:

Post a Comment