Thursday, October 28, 2010

The future of books

More colleges seem to be encouraging or even requiring students to use electronic books. The U of M's iPad pilot project is the largest in the nation. Considering the cost of textbooks, and assuming that electronic versions are much less expensive, I imagine this would be a welcomed change for students. Will the paper book be missed?

040907_r_4387.jpg

What about your own reading? Are you buying fewer paper books or borrowing less from the library?

 


 


 


 


 



1 comment:

  1. I would say I'm definitely buying books less, but I think it's more a factor of 1) the economy, and 2) access to U of M libraries and office delivery. Plus, the U has nearly every book I want, short some very new releases.
    But my main choice of book and paper over anything electronic is simply the intimacy of the book...the smell and the feel of the paper, the fact that many others have shared in reading the work, perhaps falling asleep, like I do, with a book resting comfortably on my chest, requiring no energy--resting, with me. Goodnight.

    ReplyDelete