Friday, June 20, 2014

Member profile: Lindsay Bork

lindsay-bork.jpg
Lindsay received a 2014 "Volunteer of the Year" award from the University of Minnesota Communicators Forum. 

Research Program Manager, Natural Language Processing-Information Extraction (NLP-IE) group within the Institute for Health Informatics

Started working at the University of Minnesota in 2008 and started her current position in July 2013.

UMCF member since 2011.

What excites you about working at the University of Minnesota and for the Natural Language Processing-Information Extraction group?
I love working at the U because of the diverse and innovative environments existing here. There are endless possibilities for the kinds of work to be accomplished and I take pride that the effort being put in results in change at the individual level for students as well as at the societal level for our state and nation. 

What is your favorite place on campus?      
My favorite place on campus is the first level of Coffman Union. I love sitting in one of the oversized chairs and working or people watching or just enjoying the views outside, especially when there is a pianist playing. 

What do you consider to be a best kept secret about the U?
I think the best kept secret is the opportunities available here not only for personal growth but also employment. Before starting at the U as a student, it never occurred to me all of the roles that must be filled by staff to keep the University running effectively. I think this is something many do not consider. 

I'm happiest when:
I'm at the beach staring out into to the seemingly unending ocean, breathing in the fresh, salty air. 

Motto or personal mantra:
Be the change you wish to see in the world. -Gandhi

If I could do it all over again, I would:
Change nothing. Learn from past experiences, negative or positive, to create the future you choose. 


No comments:

Post a Comment